Hit & Run Accidents in Chico
Need a car accident lawyer in Butte County?
Searching for an attorney to represent you in a hit and run accident case? Adam Sorrells has over 20 years of experience handling all types of car accident claims including hit & run cases. As a proud member of The American Board of Trial Attorneys (ABOTA), a prestigious professional organization comprised of less than 1% of attorneys throughout the United States, you can be confident that your case is in very good hands.
If you were the victim in a hit & run accident, we can take your case on a contingency fee basis and pursue maximum compensation to cover all your financial damages.
A hit & run accident is a type of auto accident where one of the parties fails to stop and identify oneself afterwards and essentially flees the scene of the accident. Hit & run accidents carry severe legal consequences and are considered a criminal offense in Chico and in most jurisdictions.
Under VC Section 20002 Permissible Action Duty Where Property Damaged, the driver of any vehicle involved in accident resulting in property damage shall immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest location that won't impede traffic or jeopardize the motorists' safety and do the following:
- Locate the owner of the other vehicle.
- Obtain the name and address of the driver and owner of the other vehicle.
- Upon request, present driver's license, and vehicle registration to the other driver.
- If the other vehicle was parked and the owner was not present, leave a written notice with their name and address.
- Without unnecessary delay, notify the police department of the city where the collision occurred.
If you're in an accident and the other driver flees the scene without stopping, you've been involved in a hit & run accident. Hit & run accidents are generally covered by the policy holder's uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
Involved in a hit & run accident? Contact the Law Office of Adam Sorrells!
If you're driving along and suddenly you're struck by another vehicle that speeds away from the scene, don't attempt to chase down the other driver. Instead, make sure your passengers are safe and check your vehicle for damage. While this may be difficult, try to record as many details as possible including:
- The description of the other vehicle (color, make, model, license plate number).
- Time and location of accident.
- The sequence of events and which direction the other car was headed at the time of the accident.
- Any eyewitness info including name and contact information.
Be sure to call the police to file an official accident report, since this is an essential part of your hit & run claim. Next, call a Chico car accident attorney from the Law Office of Adam Sorrells for help filing a hit & run car accident claim with your insurance carrier.